By Danielle Olivia Tefft, Jewelry Writer
I think quizzes are a fun way to learn facts! Give the 10 multiple choice questions below a try to see how well you know your jewelry history. For those non-history lovers who are groaning right now and asking, “Why is she torturing us?” I have an explanation: Knowledge is power. Knowing some key dates will help you date vintage jewelry you run across in your travels.
It will also help you use caution when dealing with unscrupulous sellers and/or expose those whose lack of jewelry knowledge makes their claims false. For instance, you will be able to laugh when someone claims a cultured pearl bracelet is Victorian (1837-1901).
I hope you learn something you didn’t know before! (The answers follow immediately after the quiz.)
2. Mikimoto, the famous Japanese jeweler and entrepreneur, patented the process for creating cultured pearls in what year?
3. The invention of aurora borealis coating for rhinestones and crystals was a collaboration between Christian Dior and Manfred Swarovski. What year did it become available to the public?
4. This discovery in 1922 had an enormous and lasting impact on the Art Deco jewelry of the era and beyond. What was it?
a. Lapis Luzuli in Afghanistan
b. Diamonds in Australia
c. King Tut’s tomb
d. The Hope Diamond
5. What year was the iconic jewelry store Tiffany and Company founded in New York City?
6. In what era was white gold considered “poor man’s platinum”?
a. The 1870s
b. The 1960s
c. The 1920s
d. The 1990s
7. Legendary fashion icon Coco Chanel is credited for making costume jewelry a wardrobe necessity in what era?
a. The 1950s
b. The 1920s
c. The 1950s
d. The 1980s
8. During this era, the jewelry was all made by hand.
a. Victorian Era
b. Art Deco Era
c. Georgian Era
d. Modern Era
9. When were the Kimberly Diamond Mines in South Africa discovered?
a. The 1860s
b. The 1960s
c. The 1980s
10. When were opals first discovered in Australia?
I hope you enjoyed this jewelry quiz and learned a little more about jewelry than you already knew. And if you love vintage and antique jewelry as much as I do, sign up for this blog so you don't miss an article!
Danielle Olivia Tefft is a professional writer with a lifelong passion for gems and jewelry. She is a GIA accredited jewelry professional and was the owner of online antique and vintage jewelry shop, Treasure Box Antiques for many years. Current projects include writing jewelry related web copy and blogs for clients worldwide. When she is not writing, she spends time in the garden, spoiling her cats and traveling with her significant other. Would you like to hire her? Would you like to advertise on her website or blog? Visit danielleoliviatefftwrites.com for clips, terms, her media kit and more information.
About This Blog:
The Found in the Jewelry Box Blog is my attempt to teach others about the wonderful world of gems and jewelry, past and present. Please enjoy!